I have been contemplating homeschooling my kids. Right now Ethan and Emma attend first and kindergarten in a school that is not well liked in our community. I like the teachers they have right now but the classrooms and what they are learning is very different from CA. I have been hearing rumors about Sex ed being started as young as kindergarten (although both Emma's and Ethan's teacher said they will not be discussing that topic in their classrooms.)
I have been doing research on both since the kids were young and I find that many people have pretty strong feelings on this. I want to know what you guys think. If you have an opinion... what you have experienced.
I think I have made up my mind already but I really want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I just spent some time talking to a good friend of mine that has teenagers and she had so many things she has learned throughout the years. It was very beneficial to hear her advice.
So What is your opinion???
Feb 19, 2009
What do you think???
Posted by Natalie at 9:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
This is a hard topic for me as well, because I feel so passionate about protecting my children from worldly things! But then I watch that show with the people who have 17 kids(I think their names are the Dugger's?) and I realize that I don't want my kids to be like that! They are SO sheltered and I find that that is how kids are when they are home schooled. They need interction with other kids and have room to make tough decisions on their own. I think when those decisions are taken away from them they aren't able to learn and deal with life so easily later. That can be done in other ways though, but I think going to a public school is probably the best way. My solution for this is that I'm going to be a nazi about being involved in my kids life! Dropping them off, picking them up, being in their classrooms as much as possible and not being a parent that just sits back and lets education and life just "happen" to them! I feel like there are way too many parents out there who rely on the public school system to raise their children! Wrong!! They need to be involved, so their children don't fall through the cracks! They need to be there to see and straighten out problems! Set up rules and consequences, so when their child makes a bad decision they can help to get them on the right track! I could go on and on! But I don't think that this applies to your family Natalie, cause I know that either way you are involved and you don't rely on the system in that way. I think if you do home school though I would bump up the amount of extra activities they have out of the home, cause they will need the interaction with other kids. Church, sports and hobbies galore! :) It would just be a lot of extra work for you, but I know you would do a great job of it! I'm curious to know how you decide so keep me in the loop! :) Sorry for the longest comment EVER!!
I have an opinion of not homeschooling. From a selfish standpoint it's because I look forward to when my kids go to school for a few hours a day and I get time to myself to do what I want to do. I agree with Heather that to some extent you want to shelter them but you don't want to suffocate them. I too will be involved in my kids activities and school and such. Also, being in Primary I've seen that the most disruptive kids and kids who don't sit still and the hardest to handle, are being homeschooled. My mother in law made the same observation in her primary. Granted, it probably depends on how well your kids behave and how disciplined you are with them should you decide to homeschool, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
I've actually thought about doing this myself for the same reasons, but have ultimately decided against it. First of all...I really need quiet/alone time. It's necessary for me personally to be a better mom, and second, my cousins were home schooled, and it was a HUGE disadvantage to them socially. They can't do anything alone, let alone go to college. It's way too scary for them. I suppose it's all in how you do it, whether you interact with a homeschooling group or whatever, but I think there is a social factor involved. Also, I TOTALLY agree with one of your friends...in our ward here, the worst ones are the homeschooled ones as well!! I think that as long as you keep the important, spiritual things at the forefront, that will kind of ward off some of the evil. I don't know. Those are my thoughts. Good luck making your decision!!!!
I think that under the right circumstance home schooling can be beneficially at certain points in a childs life. I personally never want to home school my children for the same reasons as everyone else has given, but I do also know that is done right, homeschooling is not a bad thing. I would look into getting into a homeschooling group that has structured activities and help to you. There were some times during Kevin's school years that his mom took the kids out of school and homeschooled them because of the environment around them. Yet as a fomer home schoolee he is not a fan of it. Especially during the young years, because it is where most kids learn social behavior. I just think that if you do decide to home school, never completely give up on the idea of putting them back into school. This is always a prayerful matter and whatever you decide I'm sure you will make it work wonderfully for your family. Let us know what you decide to do.
Thanks for your comments. I know some of my friends do homeschool and I know it can be a great thing. I made the decision to keep them in public school but I always wonder if I am doing the right thing. It is good for me to hear others who feel that public school is good as long as we are involved...which I am. Thanks for your comments and helping me feel reassured in the decision I have made.
It wouldn't hurt to try it, if you're curious. Maybe try it during the summer months to see what it would be like before committing to a full year.
Oh, I just read your post that you're keeping them in public school. I support you. Then again I would support you either way.
Does Washington have charter schools? I am still in the process of researching them. They are increasingly popular in Utah. From what I understand, they are very parent-involved, have smaller classrooms and are publically funded. I have considered home-schooling a bit and I think I've come to the same conclusion as you.
Post a Comment