
My Grandpa Kilborn passed away a couple weeks ago. For the past year and a half I have lived here in Washington and it has been so great to visit with him and see him more than just once a year or so. Growing up I lived in California far from my grandparents but every year we would come to Washington to visit. When I was five my parents flew my brother and I up for the summer. I had the opportunity to come up several summers after that too. These summers are where I built my fondest memories of my Grandpa. My Grandpa was a hard worker and instilled in me a desire to be proud of a job well done. He was kind but firm and you knew not to mess with him. What he says... goes! My grandpa taught me how to shoot a gun, drive a tractor, chop wood, swing a machete to clear a trail, and shoot a bow and arrow. My memories of my Grandpa and his home in the woods are ones I will always cherish.
This past year and a half my visits with him have been different than when I was growing up. He was always busy doing something back then and recently I have had time to just sit and chat and laugh with him. He always has good stories and yummy treats around. I have never seen anyone with a bigger sweet tooth.. except for maybe my grandma. He was so kind to my grandmother and would sit with her for hours. On my last visit grandpa was telling me all about what a good bingo player Grandma is and how she wins every time she plays. Grandma smiled and said, "Not every time!" My grandparents were married for 63 years and have been such an example to me. I will miss my Grandpa and will always cherish my memories!

Mar 13, 2010
Thomas Edward Kilborn
Posted by Natalie at 7:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment