Apr 7, 2010

Lorraine Peterson Kilborn

My maternal grandmother, Lorraine, passed away last month following her husbands lead ten days earlier. Although this had been a sad time for our family I feel it is such a blessing for my grandparents to have had sixty-three years together and only be separated for ten short days. My grandmother's funeral was held five days after Nolan was born and I was so grateful that I was able to attend. I was reminded of my grandma in her earlier years and so many memories came flooding into my mind as I sat there and listened to those who knew her best talk about her life. My grandma was such a loving, kind and compassionate woman. She was a nurse by occupation and I learned by her example a few tricks of her trade. At five and a half I spent my summer with my grandparents at their home in Washington. I got "homesick" and my grandma crushed up Tylenol and added it to a spoon full of jam so I could swallow it easily. She also gave me flat coke to sip and taught me to take it slow. She sat and talked with me about home and let me call my mom. I remember feeling so loved and cared for.
My grandma taught me many things over the years but the thing I cherish most is the work ethic she helped instill in me. She taught me how to enjoy serving others and being happy when the only reward was the good feeling you get for helping.
For the past year and a half I have enjoyed taking my kids to visit her at her residence in a skilled nursing facility. The kids enjoyed telling her about school, showing her their Halloween costumes and singing their chipmunk song, and just chatting with her about all sorts of things. Grandma was always happy to see us and she always offered her lap to Jayci which I think is so sweet.

Four Generations: My sister Melissa and I, our Mom, Grandma Kilborn, Lily and Jayci.


Our visit during Halloween. The kids sang the chipmunk song loud and proud.
I miss grandma so much and I really miss visiting with her. I am so grateful for the many wonderful memories that I have of her and will hold tight to those so I can share them with my kids. I love you Grandma!

0 comments: