The Monday before Thanksgiving the kids and I walked to school as snow was falling to the ground. It was a very exciting walk for all of us. By the time I picked them up the snow was covering the sidewalks. It was freezing so I was pretty sure it would stick but I had no idea what we were in for. That night the traffic in the freeways was horrible. Everyone is used to rain but when it snows it causes huge problems. Some travelers and commuters were stuck on the icy roads for six hours. Some even left their cars because they ran out of gas. The storm caught so many people off guard. Luckily Joey made it home okay... with a little sliding right next to a ditch and his 20 minute commute turned into over an hour. School was cancelled Tuesday and Wednesday and the only one who was upset was Lily. I was grateful for the break and we had so much fun playing in the snow, having a Tea (hot cocoa) Party, and making tons of art work. Nolan enjoyed the snow a little bit too until he stuck his bare hands in it.
Emma wanted to sew something, so we decided on a bib for Nolan. She did such a great job sewing and even made a little turkey to add to it. She has quite the creative talent.
Nolan kept us busy and entertained during our long break...
Can you guesswhat the blue stuff is all over his face, pajamas, and our FLOOR???
Food Coloring! And YES! It stains. We got it off the floor in time and it came out of his PJs (mostly), but his hands were blue for days.
The kids taught Nolan how to climb the stairs. He has a love for his new trick and goes straight for the stairs whenever we put him down. The great part is that once he gets to the top he will not come back down on his own. He just stays at the top and screams until someone takes him down so he can do it again.
The snow was great but it did cause us to change plans for Thanksgiving. Instead of facing the icy roads and traveling to my Aunt's house for dinner, we decided to just stay home. We missed seeing everyone but it ended up being a very nice and low key day. We went to Joey's work and helped with their Thansgiving feast. The kids and I had a great time visiting with the staff and residents. Our Thanksgiving Feast turned out great and I even made some very delicious gravy, something that has been a challenge for me. We got out our fine china and "princess" goblets and ate by candle light. It felt a little different not being with more family but over all it was so fun to just be us and enjoy eachother. We took time to talk about the things we are thankful for and then, like most nights, ended our celebration in a wrestling match.
Dec 1, 2010
Snow for Thanksgiving.
Posted by Natalie at 9:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm glad you had a fun Thanksgiving. I love the bib Emma made, she did a great job!
We stayed home for Thanksgiving, too. Taylor's parents came for the day, and it was great having the extra help cooking. Yet, very low key and relaxing as well. I love family days like that.
Post a Comment