Nov 21, 2010

Baking in a black out.

I do not really enjoy baking. I think it is the mess I like least of all, but knowing that I am going to consume the majority of whatever is in the oven is no good either. A couple nights ago I got in some weird mood and decided to take a break from my usual nightly routine and make some zucchinni bread. Then I thought that since the oven was on and all the baking ingredients were out I would make some chocolate chip cookies too (which I will just say now NEVER turn out for me... I didn't even know you could be choc. chip cookie impaired... but I am proof).
So I got the bread in the oven and the the cookie dough made... just needed to add the choc. chips when DARKNESS. Yep, lightening struck and the power went out. Ethan and Emma felt their way down the stairs while Joey and I scrambled to find the matches and candles. I knew the kids had just been playing with our big flashlight and it was in the closet under the stairs but it was so dark we couldn't find it.
I found the matches and a candle and went in search for the flashlight. Ethan and Emma stayed very calm and went out to watch the storm for a minute. Jayci and Lily were asleep and Nolan was just as calm as ever and hardly seemed to notice anything unusual was going on... funny kid.
I was sad that my cookies were not going to get cooked and was worried that the bread I worked so hard on would be ruined. Fortunately it had been in long enough before the power went out to get fully cooked. While the storm raged outside we sat around the table eating the zuccinni bread and making a list of the things we needed to get prepared for the next time this might happen. We had no way of knowing how long our power would be out so we planned for the worst. It came on after about 3 hours but some of our friends were with out power till the next morning. Overall it was a good learning experience and I am glad that Ethan and Emma were up so they could go through it with us. I think they both learned a lot about being prepared and how important it is. I think Santa is going to bring us a generator!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad it turned out, the bread that is!

Heather said...

Man, I feel like a bad friend right now! But I know we have an understanding you and I, so when I call ya in the near future(probably after thanksgiving) we will get back on track!! ;) Miss you SO MUCH you do not even know! I cannot believe it is already November and I have so much to gab with you about! I love all your updates, looks like you've been busy with your camera and are a total pro now with the studio look shots! Love it!! Looking forward to catching up soon, love ya!