May 2, 2010

Today was a wonderful day!


You would think that sacrament meeting with this bunch (see above) would be loud, hectic, frustrating, and anything but reverent... and for the most part you would be right. But today was the best sacrament meeting I have had in a very long time.
We have one o'clock church which is great! I have plenty of time to get the kiddos ready, eat a small lunch and be to church on time. Joey is busy with meetings all morning and has to be there early to help with the sacrament so I am pretty much on my own. Today I get to church with five minutes to spare. I was smart this time and remembered Jayci's blanket and took a bottle for Nolan. I have the older kids wait until after the sacrament is passed to begin coloring, which really cuts down on the noise and irreverence during the sacrament. I am not sure why it went so well today (could be because Jayci fell asleep right after the sacrament was passed or that Lily was separated from the rest of the kids) but I think it is because I needed to hear one of the testimonies shared today. A young father was telling a story about a women who heard him talking about his kids and interrupted to ask him why he would be talking so much about kids and not about all the other more important things happening in the world. She had a real dislike for children and expressed it to him. He told her that to him, his children were the most important thing in his life. This young father just blessed his second child today and so he was emotional as he told this story. I felt the spirit so strongly.
Lately I have been wondering if I should want more out of life than being "just" a mom. Should I want to be famous, a politician, author, musician, ect... I was feeling like I should have more ambition for "Greater" things. I was telling this to Joey just last night and he reassured me that I was doing the GREATEST thing I will ever do. I sometimes let this world into my head and get to thinking that I should be more, do more... and then I go to my church meetings and I get it all back into perspective.
I am so glad to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am grateful for this rare fast Sunday, where I got to listen to the testimonies shared and feel of the spirit, reminding me that I am doing a great work and to keep my focus on it.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Aww!! I LOVE this and could not agree more!! Glad you got experience and "take in" a wonderful meeting!! I have realised these last few months that it will be a rarity for the next few years! ;) I'm so thankful for my little distraction from it tho and even more thankful when someone wonderful sees I need a moment and gives me a break so I can get a much needed lesson! The pic of the kids is so freaking cute, you're making me want 5!! My dream number is currently 4.. but don't tell Seth! HA! Love ya!

Mikkyn said...

Thanks for sharing this. I loved hearing and reading it.

Tasha said...

I enjoyed reading your experience. Being a mom really is the greatest thing we can do; however, if you ever have a hard day with your 5 kids just know that you can e-mail me because I understand. Today as I was grocery shopping and Tanner grabbed the eggs in the cart while I was getting cheese. He ended up covered in gooey eggs. It was a long day. . . but I still wouldn't trade it for anything! I LOVE your new house! Your hair looks great and Nolan is such a cute baby!

Mike Scrivens said...

The kids look cute, but Emma Lou looks like she might have just done something to Lily...No, not Emma!!

GinaJ said...

I get how sacrament meeting is not likely to be reverent, with 5 busy small people looking to create their own entertainment. But I love how the Spirit can create moments where you can hear what's important for you to hear. I love moments that remind how being "just" a mom is important enough. Sometimes the world pulls at me, too. And then I always think of something my brother-in-law told my sister, "Quit listening to the people in the great and spacious building!" It makes me laugh, and I feel less anxious about the work I'm doing.